2018 Elite 10 Chatham
Reminder to all volunteers that there is a very important meeting on Tuesday May 15, 2018 at 7:00 PM at the Chatham Granite Club. Fitting of Goldline Jackets to take place at that time. Please notify your Team Leader if you cannot make this meeting. Doors open at 6:30 PM.
The Pinty’s Grand Slam of Curling is hosting the top 10 men’s and women’s curlers in the world at the St. Clair Campus Arena in Chatham-Kent September 26 - 30 2018.
Early bird ticket prices have been extended and the event is 60% sold out. The full event price of $150.00 +hst
Come and cheer on the top curlers in the world and your Olympic medalists.
Get your tickets now
To get your full event pass at a special pricing click or copy and paste on the link below.
We have been approved for a grant from the Trillium foundation.
this will help us to improve our drainage and make the necessary repairs to protect the building from rain water
Transplanted Newfoundlander leads charge to land Pinty's Grand Slam of Curling Elite 10 event
Fred Rose, known in curling circles for providing a Newfoundland brand of hospitality, has used his connections to bring an elite level curling event to Chatham-Kent.
Now retired and living in Chatham, Rose has run several top-notch curling events in Gander and St. John's, and decided to lead the charge to bring the the Pinty's Grand Slam of Curling Elite 10 event here this September.
“Retirement and I don't agree, so I had to find something else to do,” he said during a launch for the event on Thursday that will bring the top 10 men and women curling teams in the world to Chatham's Thames Campus Arena Sept. 26-30.
“I never really lost the enthusiasm and I never really lost the high that you get from getting involved in something like this,” Rose said.
Canadian curling legend, now Pinty's Grand Slam of Curling ambassador and Sportsnet curling commentator, Kevin Martin told local media Rose contacted him over a year ago about coming to Chatham-Kent.
A long-time friend of Rose, having spent time at many major curling events in Newfoundland, Martin said, “you've got the right guy, locally, spearheading this.”
An Olympic gold medallist, world champion and 18-time grand slam champion, Martin said Pinty's event is a “terrific series.”
He said the eight-end, five-rock rule makes for some interesting curling.
“It's just a little bit different than a traditional amateur event, it's a lot more free-wheeling, a lot more exciting in the building,” Martin said.
The tricky part is picking just one game to watch, because they are all good, since only the top 10 teams are in the event, he added.
Martin said with this being the first big event of the curling season, fans will have the first opportunity to see teams, which have made some changes since last season, play together. He noted that will be the case with the Jennifer Jones rink.
Martin said the Pinty's Lounge will also provide fans an opportunity to get up close to these elite curlers.
“Quite often if you're in the lounge, the curlers will turn around and talk to you between ends,” he said. “It's very informal, it's very close and it's quite a lot different than most sporting events in the world today. And that's pretty neat.”
Rose confirmed this.
“The experience we had with these people in Gander and St. John's and every other place . . . these (curlers) they reach out, they like to speak with people,” he said.
Mayor Randy Hope, who attended the launch, said one of the benefits from hosting this Grand Slam of Curling is the exposure the community receive from the millions of people who will watch it being broadcast on Sportsnet.
“Where else can you get that type of advertisement for a community?”
Hope said seeing these elite curlers can also be an inspiration for some.
“It might be that avenue for people to say, 'Maybe I'm going to try that sport,' and become actively involved and support local curling clubs,” he said.
Although the Chatham Granite Club is the host, Rose stressed “this is not a Chatham event, it's a Chatham-Kent event.”
He said the Granite Club has involved curling clubs from Wallaceburg, Blenheim and Ridgetown, who will share in the profits based on their involvement and input.
Rose said Chatham-Kent could have a chance to host even larger curling events if it had a twin pad arena.
“Sports events like this are great tourism generators and they're great for the economy,” he said, “so hopefully, some day, somebody will see the wisdom in investing in themselves and get this moving.”
More details on the schedule and purchasing tickets are available at www.thegrandslamofcurling.com.
Council approves Grand Slam of Curling event
The Granite club would like to thank Council for their support in helping bring this high profile event to our community. September 25th to 30th, we are looking forward to a great week of curling! http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/2017/10/02/council-approves-grand-slam-of-curling-event
Check out the event schedule for this year http://www.thegrandslamofcurling.com/
- Rules updated for Monday Night Mixed.
- New dehumidifier is installed and works well. Thanks to CDN Metal fabrication for installing and Ice King for their assistance in purchasing the unit.
- Our new drop ceiling was installed- thank you to everyone who donated time and money towards this project. It looks great
- Congratulations to our team of Dale Kelly, Mark Patterson, Ed Deschutter and Blair Wilert. They advance from the Men's Qualifier #4, to the Provincial B Qualifiers jan 6-8 in NiagaraFalls. Best of luck gentlemen.
- A BIG thank you to O'Neill Development Group! We have a new tv thanks to their donation.
- A new 'house' has been added on sheet five for all of our Curlers. Check out the lines of delivery. As well Junior curlers have a new set of Goldline brooms this year!
- Thank you to everyone who assisted us with our fundraising efforts. Over the past 5 years we have a new condenser, a new roof, HVAC unit on the roof, new compressor, water softener, upgrades to the chiller, drop ceiling in the lounge, hot water tankless unit and some other minor repairs to the building. Even with all of the renovations and repairs we completed over the past few years, we still have a few things to work on. Please share with your Facebook friends and family. There are still some handles that can be engraved and we are still accepting donations to the building fund.
- Join the Chatham Granite Club for an 8 week Learn to Curl program, designed for adults. Click here for more information or scroll down.
- The Membership Directory has been added to the Member's Zone. Please contact us at email@example.com to gain access to this page.
What's Happening in 2017-2018?
This year, to accommodate all curlers, we will have skip's choice and club curling available on Monday and Thursday nights. If you wish to curl with your spouse or a friend(s), then sign your team up under skip's choice. If you are looking for a team, then sign up under club curling.
- Another new curling format is growing like crazy, mixed doubles. It is a lot of fun and helps you to develop your game. With only 2 players per team and less rocks to deliver, the game moves very quickly and only takes about 1 hour. This is ideal for those that are unable to travel up and down the ice while sweeping. We are looking a league to accommodate curlers who might be interested. Can be mixed or not, it is a fun game and really helps you to work on your draw game.
- The open house this year will take place on October 18th.
- Be sure to check our packed schedule, bonspiel conveners would love some volunteers.
- Want to be part of a team off the ice? Contact the Club for Board position opportunities. We are always looking for people to help with bonspiels and other functions. It's your Club!
- Updated and powerful standings! All league convenors, please look to your left and see the submissions tab. Here, you can send us your standings and scores.
- We have a few OCA events scheduled for this year. We will be looking for volunteers to help your Club make these successful. Stay tuned for details .......
Thank you to our 2016-17 sponsors - click here
- The site will host standings for every single league that is played at the Granite Club.
- We will keep you up to date on our member's results in OCA events.
- A work in progress; A Member's Zone. This will be a way to post your thoughts about our club on a private page. As well, a Ontario curling club directory and map will be linked, and a member's directory will be placed here as well. "A great place to find a spare". The page will be password protected and only members who contact us will be granted the password to this page.
- Submissions: All league convenors will be in charge of their respective league page. Contact them or see the submissions page on your left to have information updated.
- Members are encouraged to send us pictures from the club if they have any which will be placed appropriately throughout the website. These pictures can also be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You will be able to directly access our Facebook page and our new Twitter feed right from the site!
- Game of the Week: This will be discontinued for this season, but may be back next year. Each week, one game will be chosen from one of the league schedules and will be featured on the homepage. Each game will have an excitement value to it whether that be an old rivalry or a rookie against a veteran!
- Chicken dinner went very well we sold out again!!! Thank you to Anita and her crew for a wonderful evening of food and music!
- Golf Tournament is cancelled
- Wine lovers don't miss this.... a bus trip to Essex region wineries including tastings and a meal on Saturday October 21st. $80 / person contact Sophie for your tickets. There are not many left! email@example.com
- November 1st Tier 55 bonspiel. for entries contact Paul Johnston firstname.lastname@example.org or the club.
- 2-4 Bonspiel is back in support of our veterans. Saturday Nov 18th, this event is limited to 40 curlers. Lunch and a perch dinner included! contact email@example.com
- Perch Dinner- on Saturday Nov 18th at 5 pm enjoy 6 pieces of perch, fries, coleslaw included. For only $19, to get your tickets contact the club, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.