The Chatham Granite Club site was originally purchased from the crown on May 17, 1802 by William Forysth and has been utilized for many purposes by many owners since then. Upon its inception in 1862, The Chatham Curling Club used the Thames River for an ice surface. The Chatham Curling Club purchased the old malt property located on the current site in 1892 and converted it into a curling and skating rink. In 1903, a new building was erected for the game of curling and other community events. In 1929, The Chatham Arena Limited remodeled the curling rink into an arena with artificial ice for public skating, curling and amateur hockey games. During the next ten years the Chatham Skating Club and such local hockey teams as The Chatham Maroons, The Sterling Imperials and Queens AC used the facility located at 41 William Street North.
In 1939, The Chatham Arena Limited was condemned and it was purchased on August 8th, 1939 for $3,300 by a committee headed by Peter Gilbert Sr., and with the help of community minded individuals the building was renovated and converted to it’s current function as a curling club. Further renovations and additions during the 1950’s, 1960’s and 1970’s created the present structure of the Chatham Granite Club.
Currently the facility is used seven days a week from the months of October through April by the Chatham Granite Club’s 275 active members as well as various members of the community for curling as well as business meetings and other social functions. Membership includes school-aged children, adults and seniors.
Below are some pictures from our 1979 Ontario School Curling Provincial Finals Pamphlet!
The Original Home of the Club - Tecumseh Park and the Thames River
- licensed lounge
- fully equipped kitchen
- change rooms & lockers
- fully stocked Pro Shop
- air conditioned for summer use
- pristine curling ice
- across from Tecumseh park